Today we are here united to talk about Book Buying Bans… don’t deny it, we all know you can’t stay too long on a Book Buying Ban, I can’t too, and that’s why I am here talking about it today.
I tried last here to start a Buying Ban and I did it, for 3 or 4 months I can’t really remember now… then I just got some money and I couldn’t resist so I bought more book forgeting about the buying ban… we have all been there !
TODAY I am going to try to help you fixing that little tiny problem… I started a new Book Buying Ban at the beginning of the year and I need to tell you this, I broke the buying ban before I should and I bought more books… BUT THAT’S TOTALLY GOING TO CHANGE YEAH?…
I am going to sahre with you some tips so you can make your buying ban last long enough to be prouder of yourself (even if you are proud of yourself… at least I can’t stop being proud of myself when I buy new books because I am ACTUALLY giving them a new home… I am sure a lot of you agree – BUT WE ALL SHOULD TRY BUYING BANS, SO HERE WE GO).
1st. MAKE A LIST
- This is how it works for me… I make a list. I have a saved word document on my computer with a list of the books I need to read before I buy more books… so basically I write down a number of books I have to read, let’s imagine that number is 10 and then I choose the books (10 titles) I’ll probably read that month (I try to read that number of books in a month so I can buy more books at the end of the month, but sometimes I can’t do it so I just keep going until I finish reading the 10 books). As I was saying I always try to pick at the beginning of the month some of the titles (from my shelves) I will be reading during the entire month, of course that sometimes I pick books that are not in the list and sometimes I don’t even read the books I wrote down, but that’s just an idea that can make you want to accomplish that little “challenge” that is reading all the books you once wanted to read for that month.
2nd. DON’T GO TO A BOOKSTORE
- I know that this may be really hard for a book lover but if you really want to make your Book Buying Ban last you just shouldn’t go to a bookstore. Once you have entered a bookstore you’ll always look for new books, you’ll find books that you really wanted for a long time, you’ll find books on sale (trust me, I know it…) and you’ll not resist, so you’ll of course buy new books and you’ll break the Book Buying Ban… and then you’ll feel ashamed for a little while but it will just pass and you’ll feel really well because you own new books… BUT YOUR MONEY IS GONE AND YOU HAVE MORE THAN 100 UNREAD BOOKS ON YOU SHELVES!… shame on you… shame on me… SHAME ON US BOOKAHOLICS!
- THIS TIP IS ALWAYS UP FOR ONLINE BOOKSTORES… FORGET ABOUT AMAZON AND THE BOOK DEPOSITORY AND ALL OF THOSE SUNFUL AMAZING WEBSITES.
3rd. THINK ABOUT OTHER THINGS TO BUY
- So I get it… you may think I am crazy right now because I honestly think I am… but I actually have a good reason to give you this tip. Think about things you want to buy… new clothes, new shoes, a new car (just kidding with this last one…), think about things you have always wanted to buy but BOOKS WERE JUST SPEAKING LOUDER. Imagine what you could just buy with the money of 2 books… YAS, I know… even if it is not that much, there’s a bunch of stuff you could buy. Before you even try to enter a bookstore go and use that money of yours buying that new bag you saw yesterday, that shirt you really really want ! THEN, when your money’s gone… you can enter a bookstore because you don’t have any money to spend and you’ll surely not break your buying ban.
4th. PROMISE YOURSELF A REWARD
- Promise yourself a reward… and yes, I am of course talking about more books… come on we all knew what I was talking about, right?… Think in the amount of books you’ll be able to buy after you finish your buying ban… ISN’T THAT CRAZY?!…
5th. AVOID BOOKISH SOCIAL MEDIA
- Forget about the social media… forget that Goodreads, Booktube and Bookstagram even exist ! That will make you want to buy more book, and you DON’T WANT THAT!
- Don’t read reviews of books you don’t own… of course that I’ll tell you to read reviews of the books you actually own, reviews of your owned unread books because that may help you making you want to read those books which is totally going to improve your performance in this Book Buying Ban challenge.
So I hope I helped you (someway)… even if I am not a good example of a person who never breaks her Book Buying Bans…
Friday I will be talking about “Lending Books”… if you are interested in knowing more about that subject don’t forget to check out my blog !